Bella’s kitchen: Gazpacho
At last, the tomatoes have ripened. They took their time, despite the hot weather. Still, good things come to those who wait. And this is a very good thing. A splendid and more or less authentic Spanish recipe for using up what looks like bumper crop.
You will need:
• 1kg ripe large tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped.
• 200 gms of white bread, no crusts, best if a bit stale.
• 1tsp finely chopped garlic
• 1 1/2 tbls of Sherry vinegar, or good red wine vinegar
• Big pinch of salt, several grinds of pepper.
• 150ml good olive oil
Squeeze the water out of the bread with your hands, and put it in a whizzer with the tomatoes and garlic. Whizz. Add the vinegar, salt pepper, and then add the oil with the motor running.
This makes a thickish soup, if you like it thinner, add some tomato passata until you get the consistency you like. Cucumber peeled, seeded and chopped, or red peppers or chopped onion can be added to the soup when you make it, or served separately to be added at the table, along with croutons fried in olive oil. Some like chopped hard boiled eggs scattered on top. It’s all delicious and very summery!